What is that one important electronic gadget you must have if you are beginning your career as a woodworker? Well, you do not have to wonder a lot. As we will answer this for you. A must-have machine which can work up a storm for you is a table saw. There is a wide usage of these table saws in the woodcutting industry. And if you are a beginner in the industry and want to make progress, this is a must.
For a single table saw can do several tasks. Tasks that include cross cutting, bevel cutting, miter cutting, etc. Also, using a table saw is not that difficult. And when you get so many functions from one device, why won’t it be an excellent investment, right?
However, choosing a good table saw especially if you are a beginner is an important task. And could also be challenging. But you should not worry because you have come to the right place. In this article we aim to discuss the best table saw for beginners. And also other basic information about the table saws. So just sit back and go through our article. And choose the one according to your requirements.
10 Best Table Saw for Beginners
1. Bosch Power Tools 4100-10 Tablesaw
- This table saw is a 15 Amp saw. And has a maximum power of 4HP and a speed of 3,650 rpm.
- Also, it is a great table saw for rip cutting and gross cutting.
- There is also a restart protection on the saw which helps prevent accidental startups.
- Moreover, the table saw has a GTA47W Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand for great portability.
The Bosch 4100-10 table saw is one of the best table saw for beginners because of its power, efficiency and performance.
This table saw is very powerful as it has a 15 Amp motor. And that motor has a great power of 4 maximum HP and works at a speed of 3,650 rpm. In our opinion, this speed is enough for rip-cutting and cross-cutting any material.
When you look at the table top surface of the saw, you will see it is huge and made of cast aluminum. So you will be able to do your work comfortably without any hindrance.
Also, the table saw has a rip capacity of 30 inches which is very good at making good rip cuts. And the SquareLock rip fence provides you truer clamping and stability. According to us, this is proof enough to buy the table saw.
When you start the table saw it manages the starting intensity motor and prevents circuit breaker trip. Even there is a restart protection that prevents accidental start-ups and danger. With its constant response circuitry, you get the same speed throughout cutting.
It also possesses the special GTA47W Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand. This helps you in easy navigation on your work site.
Moreover, this table saw has a Smart Guard system, with a riving knife and anti-kickback pawls. All these give you protection while you work with it.
The table saw has an onboard storage with an arbor lock for easy blade changes.
- Good power motor
- Decent rip capacity
- Smart Guard System
- Restart Protection
- Dust collection system is faulty.
- Stock saw blade could be better
So the advantages of this table saw have outweighed the cons. Hence, buying it for your new woodworker experience will be great. Also, the money is not too out of your budget. We recommend you go for it for all the above qualities.
2. DEWALT FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Table Saw
- This table saw is cordless but has the power of corded saws.
- Also, it has a 24 inch rip capacity which makes it great for ripping.
- The Rack and Pinion fence rails in the saw help you make smooth and accurate fence adjustments.
- Then there is the power-loss reset button which prevents accidental re-starts.
The DEWALT FLEXBOLT 60V is probably among the best table saw for beginners,
specifically because of its portability. As this table saw is not only lightweight but also cordless. So it does not use direct electricity rather works on battery. However, that does not affect its performance. It works equal to the power of a corded saw. As you will see, it can go up to the speed of 5800rpm when there is no load. Besides that, this table saw has a voltage changing battery. We suggest you consider all these appealing qualities when you buy it.
Also, it has a ripping capacity of 24 inches great for rip cuts in OSB sheets and 4×8 plywood.
Moreover, the table saw has the Rack and Pinion telescoping fence rails. These rails are assured of smooth and accurate fence adjustments.
There is also a power-loss reset feature in the table saw. This feature will prevent accidental start-ups if the saw is left on after a power disruption.
Besides that, there is a metal roll cage instead of a plastic one and it guarantees you more durability.
The table saw also has onboard storage capacity.
- Cordless and portable
- Voltage-changing battery
- Rack and Pinion telescoping fence rails.
- Power loss reset
- Blade diameter could be small for a lot of you.
- One battery can limit the amount of work
Hence with every feature and benefit mentioned, it is a good beginner table saw for you. But when you work with your only aim should be the basic cutting. However it is not very suitable for heavy works or pros. We suggest you go ahead and get it if it fits your criteria.
3. Metabo HPT Table Saw
- This table saw has a 15 Amp motor and a speed of 4,500 rpm.
- Also, this has a great rip capacity of about 35 inches.
- The good dado capacity in the table saw aids in impressive dado cuts.
- Moreover, it has a miter gauge with a large scale and adjustable stops for perfect cuts.
For those of you looking for a beginner’s table with the best motor and rip capacity, you can consider the Metabo HPT 10″. In fact, we think that it is one of the best entry level table saws on the market for you.
This table saw has a good 15 Amp motor which is powerful enough to achieve a speed of 4,500 rpm. With this speed, you can rip-saw and cross-cut with ease with ordinary wood, plywood, hardwood, etc.
Additionally, the motor is designed to shut off if it is overloaded. Hence preventing any further damage. In addition, the table saw has a restart lock and will stop starting the saw when the power is disrupted. Thus, the risk of a sudden, dangerous start is minimized.
The carbide blade is 10” and has a rip cut capacity of 35 inches, great for rip cuts. Additionally, the table saw allows cross cutting. With the table saw, you can cut dados with an 8′ x 13/16″ dado set.
Then there are two ¾” slots on both sides of the blades. And this keeps the miter gauge in place with positive stops at 0,15,30,45 and 60.
Besides that, the table saw comes with a durable wheeled stand. And it is easy to navigate at the work site.
- Powerful motor
- Good miter gauge
- Restart lock
- Great rip capacity
- Blades need to be aligned
- Bevel lock is not that secure
If you are a beginner in the field of woodworking, this table saw is an excellent option for you. It also comes from the Hitachi brand, so its quality is guaranteed.
4. DEWALT 10-Inch Table Saw
- Rolling stand is included for easy setup
- Powerful motor that can cut hardwoods
- Stability is excellent
The DEWALT 10” Table Saw is also one of the best starter table saws you can get. Majorly because of its performance with cutting and fence adjustments. The 15 Amp motor in the table saw will let you cut through any piece of wood with ease. This motor produces about 4,800 revolutions per minute. No matter how rough or fine the material is, this is great for cutting it.
Then we have the Rack and Pinion telescoping fencing rails facilitate smooth, accurate and quick fence adjustments.
The table saw has 32 ½” rip capacity, cuts a variety of materials, especially shelving and trimming with ease. You also get the patented material support, unique to the brand which can give you narrow rip cuts. The table saw also has onboard storage capacity which can store all the components of the saw.
Consequently, there is a dust collection port that can be attached to a vacuum cleaner for convenient cleaning. A foldable set of legs along with big wheels makes it easy to maneuver around the worksite.
- Good powerful motor
- Great rip capacity
- Onboard storage capacity
- Rack and Pinion telescoping fence
- Can be slow
- And the dado blades are not really compatible
For beginners, this table saw can make a great contribution to a job site. Furthermore, the money you pay won’t burn a hole in your pocket meaning it’s pretty affordable. As a whole, it’s a great investment.
5. Jet 708675PK 10″ Deluxe XACTA Saw
- This is a high-powered table 14.5Amp saw with a 3HP power motor.
- Also, the poly V belt system in the table saw great for smooth operation.
- The enclosed cabinet of the table saw adds to its storage capacity.
- Moreover, there is a 4-inch dust collection port.
One of the best table saws for beginners is Jet 708675PK, a premium table saw with premium qualities. The table saw has a cast iron table with a wide workspace. And this feature has our attention because it lends the saw durability as well as ease of working. Then there is the powerful 3HP motor of the table saw with which you can saw anything you want.
Another important feature of the table saw is the Poly V belt system which helps you operate smoothly. With a 50 inch fence, the table saw is an impressive addition to your professional work. This ensures optimum performance and accuracy. There is a left tilt design on this table saw as well which helps you while you cut bevels. It is also unlikely that a wood piece will get caught because of this design.
The enclosed cabinet of the table saw facilitates more storage in the saw itself. And there is a 4-inch dust collection port that lets you collect all the dust easily and efficiently.
- Powerful motor
- Poly V belt system
- Left tilt design
- Larger dust collection port
- Very expensive
If you are ready to invest a lot of money in buying a table saw, you can go for this. In addition, this provides premium and optimum performance. The table, however, will need to have its own space. Once you have that, you are all set.
6. Delta 36-6023 10 Inch Table Saw
- This is a 15 Amp powerful contractor-grade table saw.
- Also, the table saw has a 32.5-inch rip capacity.
- The Rack and Pinion Fence rails of the brand for smooth and accurate fences.
- Besides that, the table saw also has a 2.5-inch dust collection port.
The DEWALT 36-6023 is another one of the best beginner table saws you can find on a decent budget.
Portability is a major advantage of this table saw. As the saw has a rolling stand that folds down and wheels help you in moving it around.
Also, not to forget about the powerful 15 Amp motor. And this motor produces a speed of up to 5000rpm. This speed is powerful enough to cut through anything that comes the way of the blade. And according to us, this is reason enough to go for the table saw.
Then there is the Rack and Pinion telescoping system. This helps in smooth and accurate fence adjustments.
With 32.5” right and 22” left rip capacities, the table saw makes impressive rip cuts.
There is an opening in the throat plate that helps you in the rise and fall of the riving knife. And a riving knife will help prevent any danger regarding the blade.
- Powerful motor
- Rack and Pinion telescoping fence system
- Great rip capacity
- Stand is not level
- Cheap miter gauge
This is probably one of the best budget-friendly table saws you will find in the market. It will be handy if you need to make basic cuts. Therefore, if it fits your needs, you should get it.
7. Rockwell BladeRunner X2 Portable Tabletop Saw
- This is a portable table saw perfect to carry around a job site or workshop.
- Also, there is an adjustable miter gauge in the table saw to perform precise miter cuts.
- The table saw also has onboard storage at the base.
- A safety switch in the table saw prevents accidental startups.
The Rockwell BladeRunner X2 is another one of the best table saws for beginners.
because it is super affordable. Adding to that, it is also very portable. Then there is the fact that the table saw is lightweight and can be literally placed on a tabletop. Therefore, you can be sure that it will be easy for you to navigate it on the job site.
Another important feature of the saw is it can perform all, rip, cross, scroll, and miter cuts. And in our opinion, if a table saw provides you with so much at such a great price you should take it.
The adjustable miter gauge on the saw from 0 to 60 degrees, helps in giving very precise miter cuts.
Besides that, there is onboard storage on the table saw. Therefore, you won’t have to worry about storing the components elsewhere.
Additionally, the table saw comes with a safety switch that prevents accidental startups which can cause harm.
- Super affordable
- Can perform four types of cuts
- Safety switch
- Not very good at scroll cuts
- Requires a table to stand upon and function
This affordable and portable table saw should be a must-have for beginners. Especially because it is a universal saw and can perform all cuts. Thus, if you think this will be beneficial to you, you should purchase it.
8. Metabo HPT-C10RJSM Jobsite Table Saw
- The table saw has a 15 amp motor with a speed of 4500 rpm.
- Also, it has a soft start and electric brake technology.
- There are simple adjustments you can do with your blade height and angle in the table saw.
- Along with that, it has a stand that is stable and durable.
The Metabo HPT – C10RJSM is one of the best table saws for beginners because of its performance and brake technology. The powerful 15 Amp motor on the table saw allows it to run at 4500 pm. In other words, you probably won’t have much trouble with the rip cuts.
There is a soft start feature as well, so there is no noise or recoil when it starts. This makes it much safer to use. Another feature in the table saw is the electric brake. When you apply it, the saw halts within seconds. With a bevel range of 0-45 degrees, you can cut out different bevel cuts as you want with precision. And they also come with bevel adjustment knobs.
It is also pretty simple to adjust the height and angle of the blade. Even the stand of the table saw is durable as well as foldable. Also, there are wheels on the stand for easy navigation..
- Powerful motor
- Soft start feature
- Brake technology
- Not good for Dado cuts
- Cross cut guide is flimsy
From a company as prestigious as Hitachi, this is a great product. This makes it an excellent choice for beginners. It is, therefore, a great purchase if you want it.
9. SKIL 15 Amp 10 Inch Table Saw
- This table saw has a 15 Amp motor which is pretty powerful.
- Also, there are Rack and Pinion fence rails for smooth fence adjustments.
- The foldable legs of the table saw help with easy storage.
- Moreover, there is a dust port elbow for easy dust removal.
Its powerful motor, capacity, rip, and bevel capabilities make the SKIL 15 Amp one of the best table saws for beginners.
This table saw has a 15 Amp good powerful motor enough to cut through almost anything that comes its way.
Also, this saw has a ripping capacity of 25.5 inches, a decent capacity for making good rip cuts. It has a 10″ blade that can cut very efficiently.
In addition, there is Rack and Pinion fencing, which allows the blade to stay parallel to the fence. As a result, the cuts are very smooth and accurate.
It has a -2.47 degree bevel capacity and positive stops at 0 and 45 degrees, which provides excellent bevel cuts. The dado stacks are also compatible with the saw. Therefore, you can also perform dado cuts.
A dust port elbow is also included on this saw. The port can be connected with a vacuum so that it can be cleaned easily.
- Good powerful motor
- Decent rip capacity
- Rack and Pinion telescoping fencing
- Fence locks are faulty
- Lever to lock the angle of the blade doesn’t work well enough.
This is actually a great option for you if you are a beginner. We encourage you to buy it because it doesn’t cost a lot. And we believe the tasks it performs can be of great usefulness to you.
10. Delta 36-6013 10 Inch Table Saw
- This table saw has a powerful contact grade 15 Amp motor.
- Then this also has a 25-inch rip capacity.
- Also, the table saw has a good Dado capacity.
- And the tool-free split guard design helps in the rise and fall of the riving knife.
The Delta 36-6013 is another one of the best entry-level table saws due to its power and design.
This table saw has a good powerful motor of 15 Amp which can go up to a power of 1800W. And that is enough to power you through any of the cutting programs.
Then there is good rip capacity of the table saw. As it has a 25 inch capacity on the right and a 12 inch capacity on the left which is decent for rip cuts.
The flip which is over the ripping fence will allow you to make narrow rip cuts.
Another feature of the table saw is the Industry standard tool-free split guard design. And this design allows a rise and fall riving knife which provides you safety from the blade. The riving knife is moved by the lever on the opening of the throat plate.
It is also pretty lightweight, so you will not face a lot of problems while carrying it.
- Good power motor
- Decent rip capacity
- Tool-free split guard design
- No wheels have to carry around
- The blade is not correctly aligned
All in all, it is a decent Table saw for you to buy if you are a newbie. With good, powerful performance, you will be satisfied. Even though it does not have many extraordinary features, we think it will be a great beginner’s tool.
Buying Guide for Table Saw for Beginners
Before you buy a table saw, you need to consider some parameters. So that you choose the one you need.
Before you go forward to buy a table saw, you must look at the type you want. There are 8 types of table saws for different purposes. These include benchtop, Jobsite, compact, contractor, cabinet, hybrid, sliding and mini and micro saws. You can see a description of these in the next segment. So that you choose accordingly.
These parameters include what specific function you want your table saw to perform. So you can include the blade’s material and diameter here. Also, the rip capacity, rip fence, bevel degrees, etc. You can also check if the table saw has a miter gauge.
Then you will need to consider the power of the motor and the speed it can produce. Also, there are some table saws that are belt-driven. So you will have to be sure if that is a requirement or not.
Next you will have to see if your table saw comes with accessories. And if it does, which are specific accessories you need in your table saw. Some of the accessories you can look out for are dust collection ports, durable stands, dado capacity, etc.
- Added Features
There are some other added features you can look out for when buying a table saw. Like the Amps, onboard storage, wheels, arbor locks, etc. You should also consider safety features like anti-restart function, riving knife and splitter, anti-kickback pawls, etc.
Types of Table Saw
- Here we will let you know about the different types of table saws. And this will help you a lot in knowing which one suits your needs. There are 8 types of table saws.
- Benchtop: These are the table saws that you can place on the top of a bench or a table. And then you will be able to use it. Also, these types of saws are not as expensive as the other types. And are pretty lightweight as well as portable.
- But that does not really affect the performance. With a blade on top and a motor under, it can cut accurately according to the measurements. This is perfect for softer and smaller materials.
- Jobsite: The next type of saw is the Jobsite Saws. And these saws are larger than the benchtop. And are usually used by woodworkers on the worksite itself. This makes all the other carrying and transporting easy.
- Also, it is pretty portable. Because usually, they come with wheels which make it easy to navigate to the worksite. With a good level stand, it can give you stability for accurate measurements.
- Compact: Then there are Compact Saws. And they are larger than the portable ones. Usually, professionals use this type of table saw. Also, these saws have universal motors. And these help in carrying out the large scale of workload.
- With quick and perfect accuracies, these are a perfect addition to carpenter shops and construction sites.
- Contractor: So a Contractor grade saw can do large and heavy tasks. And they can perform much more complex tasks when compared to other stand-based saws. With a blade on the back, it is pretty great sawing bigger material parts. Usually, these saws have a powerful motor and a motor belt.
- Also, the saw is strong and functional to carry out the various activities. And even has a low time requirement.
- Cabinet: Probably the heaviest kind of table saw around is a Cabinet saw. So it uses an ample amount of steel and cast iron which lessens the vibration. And when the vibration is less, there is a higher rate of accuracy in the cuts. This saw is enclosed like a cabinet as a name suggests.
- This type of saw is the best to cut hardwood like hazelwood and timber. And it does that with no hassle.
- Hybrid: The Hybrid saws came into existence because of the competition with contractor-grade saws. Basically, these are a variant of the cabinet saws. As these have the benefits of it, like an enclosed space. These are heavier than Contractor saws and lighter than traditional cabinet ones.
- Among these Hybrid ones, there are two types. One is the cabinet-mounted tune-up and table-mounted tune-up. The only difference between them is that cabinet mounted is easier to adjust than table mounted.
- Sliding: Also known as a panel saw this is a variation of cabinet shows. These saws are probably the largest type of table saw you will find in the market. And these are great for sawing out huge boards.
- Also, there are a few layers of induction on the motor. And these add to the large-scale activity of the job. Obviously, they are more expensive than any other table saw you will find in the market.
- Mini and Micro: After the largest, we have the smallest table saw available in the markets. These are known as Mini and micro table saws. With a blade diameter of 4 inches, this can be a perfect product for your starting days. But these are also used by contractors for small uses in the site.
How to use a table saw?
You use a table saw for various cuttings like ripping, dado and crosscut. The following steps describe how you can rip the wood. For more information on the different processes, check our article on how to use a table saw.
The steps for ripping wood:
- First thing you need to take care of is safety. So before you do anything, you will need to wear eye and ear protection.
- Then you will need to adjust the blade higher than the actual thickness of the wood. Around a quarter inch higher is perfect.
- Next you will need to use a tape to measure the distance between the blade and the fence.
- After that adjust the width of the fence according to the size you want your rip to be.
- And then you will have to hold a piece of wood against the fence.
- To hold the wood steady, place your thumb and hand behind it. And you keep them between the fence and the blade.
- Then to prevent kickback, you can place the wood firmly against the table and side fence.
- Now you need to lift the blade guard off the saw blade.
- Turn the table saw on.
- Gently push the wood with your hand, slowly and steadily.
- When you see you are reaching the end of the wood, use a push stick to push it. Always keep a minimum distance of about 6 inches to avoid injury.
- After you are done, switch off the saw.
What are the benefits of a table saw?
Have you ever wondered what are the benefits of using a table saw? If you have, we some points for you to know:
- First thing you get while using a table saw is speed. Imagine you need to complete a project in a short time. Your age-old hand-operated saw will never let you finish on time. But when you have a table saw, it is electrically operated. And also pretty easy to use. Hence, you will get the work done in no time.
- With a handsaw, you will have to worry about your cuts. Or more specifically, the accuracy of the cuts. But while using a table saw, all your worries will go away. Because the only thing you need to do is firmly hold the wood down and gently push. And the blade will cleanly cut your piece with accuracy according to the measurements you have set.
- Also, the table saws can make different types of cuts. So you can perform rip cuts, cross cuts, dado cuts, all in one table saw.
- Usually, the table saws come with dust collection ports. So the dust from cuts is stored in it. And after you are done with sawing, you can take a vacuum cleaner, attach it to the port and suck out the dust. Hence, cleaning is not an issue in the table saws, unlike the other saws.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many watts does a table saw use?
Usually average table saws, say with a power of 2HP, uses around 1700-1800 watts to run. But if you want a top-end table saw, with higher horsepower, that uses a greater amount of wattage to run.
How many amps does a table saw use?
As you must know, table saw comes under the category of bigger power tools. Hence, it uses around 15 amps to work properly.
How much does a table saw cost?
So different table saws cost different. The benchtop table saws are mostly under $500. Whereas the contractor type can come between $500-$1500. Cabinet style table saws can also go up to $2000. You should check our list above to know what suits you.
What are the types of blades in a table saw?
There are three types of blades used in a table saw.
- First is the Standard blade. And these blades are mostly around 8-10 inches in diameter.
- Second, there is the Dado blade perfect for Dado cuts. These are used to make accurate trenches and notches.
- Third, we have the Wobble blade. Like its name suggests, it is slanted when compared to the table’s surface.
What are the types of cuts in a table saw?
There are three primary cuts you can do in a table saw.
- The first is the Ripping cut. This is simply to cut along the length of the wooden piece.
- Then there is Crosscut. Basically, this is a cut against the grain (cross-section) of the wooden board.
- Lastly, we have the Dado cut. These cuts are slot like. So you make a groove in one piece where another will fit snugly.
What is rip capacity in a table saw?
Rip capacity is basically the maximum distance between the center of the blade and the furthest edge of the rip fence. And this determines the maximum width to which you can cut a piece of wood.
In conclusion, we hope that our article on table saws has helped you out. So now you can choose one according to your requirements. And also know the basic things you need to know about a table saw. If you want to be a big game in the woodworkers’ industry, a table saw is the first step for you.